Windows 8.1 : Features And How To Upgrade To Windows 8.1 OS
In just around 8 months, Microsoft has restructure their Windows 8 OS in their latest major update release and termed as windows 8.1. The windows 8.1 update has got quite a good number of new features added to it and this is obviously an awesome step ahead.
Although the final release of the update is still few months away, microsoft has been giving out more information regarding the update and the features it will bring to a modern computing experience in business and other aspects of life.
According to Microsoft, the windows 8.1 advances the vision of Microsoft in providing customers with the best PCs driven by a powerful OS designed for today’s modern business.
Without boring you with much intros and all, let’s head over to the features of windows 8.1 and how to upgrade to 8.1 preview OS.
Features Of Windows 8.1
- Security: Microsoft says it has improved security in the 8.1 update. More so, more notable security features has been added including the following:
- Remote Business Data Removal: Corporate organizations can now remotely wipe any data they mark as corporate from a user once the relationship with the corporation has ended.
- Improved Internet Explorer: In a bid to remain relevant in the browser world, microsoft has enhanced the functionality of internet explorer in the Windows 8.1 update. The latest Internet explorer update known as Internet Explorer 11 now includes faster page loading time, side by side browsing of web pages, enhanced pinned site notifications and other app settings like favourites, tabs and settings sync across all windows 8.1 pcs and more interesting updates.
- Mobility Enhancement: Microsoft windows 8.1 understands the need for better internet connectivity and has therefore introduced new features in this area also. Some of its improvements are related to VPN, Mobile broadband, broadband tethering and a whole lot more. With the new update, you can simple turn your windows 8.1 device into a Wi-Fi hotspot hence no need for any special 3rd party software to be installed before you can share your internet connection with other wireless devices around you.
Other amazing features includes Wi-fi direct printing which allows you to connect to WiFi printers without having to install additional drivers. More so, native Miracast wireless display which allows you to project wirelessly with just a Miracast enabled projector via NFC.
- Modern User Interface: Amongst other features of the windows 8.1 update, the most notably is the start button.
The start button is one of the numerous changes brought about in the windows 8.1 update. Formally on the windows 8 update, the start button was kinda difficult to actually click on or notice and Microsoft as made changes to this as its now clearly seen.
The new windows 8.1 start button does not function exactly as other former start buttons in other windows version does. Left clicking on the windows 8.1 start button will toggle between the desktop and start screen while right clicking will bring up a menu with variety of options.
Another noticeable feature is the boot to desktop option. You can now choose to boot directly to desktop or start screen in the new windows 8.1. You can also re-size apps and even share screen between two apps. Furthermore, you do not necessarily need to switch apps in-other to view them as you can now comfortable have up to 3 apps on a monitor and be able to share screen to view them all at the same time.
How To Upgrade To Windows 8.1 OS Update
Anyone already using windows 8 OS can easily upgrade to 8.1 preview and that can be downloaded from Windows 8.1 preview download page here
Note before you download: Windows 8.1 preview is just pre-release software that can be modified before it’s commercially released. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied with respect to the information provided. More so, some product features and functionality may require additional hardware or software.
When done downloading from that page, double click on the download file and double click setup.exe and follow the instructions to install and complete the installation.
For those still using Windows 7 and want to upgrade to Windows 8.1, simply download and install a Windows 8.1 Preview ISO file and upgrade directly to Windows 8.1.
Note before you download: If you don’t have recovery media, i recommend that you create a USB recovery drive before you install Windows 8.1 Preview so that you can go back to Windows 8 if you need to.