Samsung Galaxy Gear – First Custom ROM Available For The SmartWatch
Ever heard of a smartwatch before? These strange, yet amazing devices are watches that run Android Operating system. Thanks to the XDA forum, these watches can also use custom roms also.
One of latest smart watches is the recently released Samsung Galaxy Gear. An XDA Senior Member by name “fOmey” created the first functional custom ROM for the device. The custom rom was based on MK7 stock ROM, and has lots of customization.
The ROM is rooted and deodexed, and contains several improvements to enhance the overall user experience. A lot of great work has been done to the rom by the developer to make this ROM almost bug free. FOmey described the installation procedure and even made a video with instructions on how to enter download mode on the Galaxy Gear.
Some of the working features in the rom are:
- MK7 BASE
- COMPLETELY DEODEXED
- NOVALAUNCHER INCLUDED
- HOMEBUTTON FIX / POWER BUTTON LOCKS SCREEN WHEN USING CUSTOM LAUNCHERS.
- NO WIPE BASE
- WEATHER WIDGET / REMOVED STATIC “WEATHER” TEXT
- DISABLED SAMSUNG SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
- NATIVE APK INSTALLATION
- INCREASED VIDEO RECORDING LIMIT TO 60 SECONDS
- VPN ENABLED
- CM10.2 BROWSER
- WALLPAPER SUPPORT
- LIVE WALLPAPER SUPPORT
- CM10.2 GALLERY
- THIRD PARTY CONTACT WIDGET & APP CRASH FIX
- SETTINGS / FULL SETTINGS DIALOG
- MTP SUPPORT / ENABLED IN STORAGE SETTINGS
- BLUETOOTH TETHERING
- MULTIPLE BLUETOOTH DEVICE PAIRING
- NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT
- NAVIGATION BAR
You can visit the XDA trend here for the full details on how to install this first time custom rom on the Samsung Galaxy Gear SmartWatch.